On the day after Thanksgiving, if you braved the crowds to go Christmas shopping, songs like The Night Before Christmas, Silver Bells, The Twelve Days of Christmas, O Christmas Tree, Jingle Bells and many more rang in your ears. These songs will stay with you whether you’re in the store trying to find a perfect gift or driving in the car. Wherever you go you can be sure of a Surround Sound experience of Christmas Music that started the day after Thanksgiving. It will end on Christmas day or the day after.
December 2 was the first Sunday of Advent. When you go to Mass during Advent, you will pray with hymns that help you reflect on the true meaning of Christmas, God is with us. These songs that provide a Surround Sound at liturgy during Advent call you to change your life in preparation for Christ’s coming into the world.
- O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, O come desire of nations, bind in one the hearts of all human kind; Bid thou our sad divisions cease, And be thyself our Prince of Peace.
- On Jordan’s Bank, the Baptist’s cry announces that the Lord is nigh; Awake and hearken for he brings glad tidings of the King of kings.
- Maranatha, Come , O Lord and set us free, Maranatha.
- Patience People, till the Lord is come. See the farmer await the yield of the soil. He watches it in winter and in spring rain, Patience people the Lord is coming
- People Look East, People look East. The time is near of the crowning of the year, Make your house fair as you are able. Trim the hearth and set the table. People look East and sing today: Love the Guest is on the way.
- Comfort, Comfort my People, Comfort, comfort, O my people, Speak of peace, now says our God; Comfort those who sit in darkness, mourning ‘neath their sorrows’ load. Speak unto Jerusalem of the peace that waits for them; Tell of all the sins I cover, And that warfare now is over.
- Creator of the Stars of Night, Your people’s everlasting light. O Christ Redeemer of us all, We pray you hear us when we call.
- Let the King of Glory Come. Lift up you gates, lift up your arches: let the King of Glory come! Lift up your hearts and sing you people: let the King of glory come.
An Advent Activity: Choose one Advent hymn that speaks to your heart. Spend some time with the words. What is it suggesting that you pray for or do during this time of preparing for the coming of Christ?
Let the Surround Sound of Advent speak to your heart.